Austides is a private oceanographic consultancy specializing in tides and sea levels, hydrodynamic modelling, marine sciences and coastal engineering. Austides was registered in 2000 by Dr John L Luick. Normally Austides jobs are performed by Dr Luick in association with a small team including scientific colleagues, technicians, and/or software engineers. Dr Luick has also contributed to a number of multi-year projects at the South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI), as part of a larger team of SARDI, CSIRO, and university scientists.
- Ocean currents in the vicinity of Trinidad and Tobago (for Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Group, Melbourne).
- Fleurieu Peninsula artificial reef project tidal and wind-driven current assessment (for Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Group, Melbourne).
- Western Australian sea level due to tides, weather, and extreme events (for Western Australia Department of Transport).
- A Course in Hydrography, Tidal Analysis, and the Prediction of Tides (2001 — 2003, Applied Hydrographic and Oceanographic Academy, Kuala Lumpur).
- A review of the physical oceanography of Astrolabe Bay and coastal northeast PNG with reference to proposed submarine discharge of mine wastes (for the Australian Mineral Policy Institute).
- Thistle Island tidal and storm currents (for Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Group, Melbourne).
- Australian Tidal Handbook (for the Bureau of Meteorology, National Tidal Centre).
- Australian Tides Manual (for the Intergovernmental Committee on Surveying and Mapping, Permanent Committee on Tides and Mean Sea Level, Woolongong).
- Physical oceanographic survey of Hessen and Sachsen Bays, Papua New Guinea, of exploration license 1305 – Morobe Chromite Project (for OMG Materials Ltd, Singapore).
- Tidal analysis software for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (for Unique Maritime Group, Dubai).
- Tidal analysis software for Dubai Municipality (for Unique Maritime Group, Dubai) (with SARDI).
- Physical oceanographic assessment of the Nautilus EIS for the Solwara 1 Project (an independent review) (for the Deep Sea Mining Campaign, Melbourne) (with SARDI).
- Lake Tanganyika, Africa, Tender Evaluations (for Beach Petroleum, Adelaide) (with SARDI).
- Analysis of Yanbu, Saudi Arabia tide gauge data in support of hydrographic survey (for Saudigeomatics Ltd) (with SARDI).
- Analysis of Jubail, Saudi Arabia tide gauge and current meter data in support of hydrographic survey (for Saudigeomatics Ltd) (with SARDI).
- Southern Bluefin Tuna Aquaculture – Subprogram: Risk and Response (for Aquafin CRC).
- Effects of environmental variability on recruitment to South Australian fisheries: a preliminary investigation (for Fisheries Research and Development Council).
- Carrying capacity of Spencer Gulf: hydrodynamic and biogeochemical measurement modelling and performance monitoring (for Fisheries Research Development Council).
- Physical Oceanography of the Great Australian Bight: the science that underpins (for British Petroleum).
- Development of a Marine Research Virtual Laboratory (MARVL) (for the Australian Commonwealth and participating organizations).
- Development of the Dubai Coastal Zone Monitoring and Forecasting Program (in affiliation with Microstep spol s r.o., Slovakia).
Austides International Partners
- Microstep spol s r.o. (Slovakia)
- Unique Maritime Group (Dubai)
- Sea and Land Technologies (Singapore)
- Nusentara (Malaysia)
- SaudiGeomatics (Dammam)
Austides Professional Associates
- Associate Professor Jon Hinwood (Marine and Coastal Engineering)
- Dr Charles James (Physical Oceanography, Waves)
- Dr Mark Doubell (Biological Oceanography, Turbulence Processes)
- Dr Paul van Ruth (Biological Oceanography, Nutrient Modelling)